Wednesday, July 15, 2009

hello from the heeb.

So Christine has been rockstar about posting her photos of her creations, but I've got to be honest: Love to cook, but I get too into it sometimes and forget to photograph. My bad, yo.

However, being the Heeb on the site, I found it only appropriate to share the BEST BRISKET RECIPE EVER (cue the echo).

It's called 'My Mother's Brisket' and ran in the December 1995 issue of Gourmet:

Now, here is what it says you need:

a 5- to 6-pound first-cut beef brisket
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large yellow onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 5 cups or 3 pounds)
2 or 3 large garlic cloves, or to taste, minced
1 teaspoon paprika, preferably Hungarian
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

I won't go into showing how it's prepped, but I will tell you what I did differently:

1. You so don't need that much oil just enough to coat the bottom of your cooking device, since you get some delicious melted fat to grease it all up.
2. I dumped a few cans of plain tomatoe sauce and cheap red wine on the brisket, and every time I checked on that bad boy, I'd move it around a bit, perhaps flip it, and then dump more of the booze/sauce as I saw fit (or could find in my cabinet) to keep the brisket moist.

Apparently this is one of those dishes you can't mess up. So, with that, I say to you good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment